Friday, August 29, 2008

Really?

Due to a task I was given at work, I have looked at a large number of chord charts and lyrics lately. I'm not much a fan of the typical "Christian worship" songwriting, so I was looking at a lot of songs I didn't know, and picking songs that I had heard from the few artists that I knew. I do like Chris Tomlin, because I feel that once I've heard one of his songs, I've heard the general gist of all the "hit" songs on Christian radio (likely because he wrote most of them, or so it seems.) While I enjoy playing worship music, I don't particularly enjoy listening to it.

This brings me to a few questions.

1.) Why does this stuff all sound the same? Given that God himself is the author of all creativity, you would think that the "christian" genre would be so much more diverse. And yet bands such as Switchfoot, while not falling into that category, claim to be Christians and their stuff, from the beginning of their existence to now, continues to change and find new ways to reach their audience rather than settle for the same mundane 1-4-5 chord changes and guitar effects. And while some would say that Switchfoot has sold out in not DIRECTLY addressing their faith in their songs (while the references to scripture suggest otherwise, at least to me,) I would argue that the worship musicians that fail to push the envelope for the sake of record sales are the greater sell-outs.

I must say, though, that people worship differently, and lyrics and songwriting technique reflect different worship styles. I am not attacking the way people worship by any means. I am simply trying to figure out why the stuff doesn't speak to me the way it seems to speak to most people.

2.) Like I said. I read a lot of lyrics this week. I can't count the number of times I read something referencing how "all we need is Jesus." For some reason this bugs me. Because while I feel that we should come to Christ first to express concern and seek council, I also believe that we were designed to have needs besides those that are spiritual. Let's say, hypothetically speaking, of course, you were to lock yourself in a room and have no way out or in. There would be no light, no refrigerator, to water. Theoretically, all you would have would be God himself, in the form of communication through prayer. SO, if we have no other needs but God himself, we should be able to stay alive forever (or at least until our old age) through prayer. This, to me, sounds like sheer madness. While God could sustain us for that long. We were created to be relational, not just with God, but with other people as well. Our bodies do not function without water, food, rest. Does this train of thought follow with anyone else, or am I overanalyzing things?

Cheers
Brandon

2 comments:

Simon said...

Yes. We are humans. We eat food. We love people. ...it almost seems silly to say that.

Colleen said...

You mentioned not liking to listen to worship music, but enjoying playing it. I get that! Maybe "worship music" works best when one is participating with it - playing, singing, worshipping! I think when one is just listening to it, we hear it and process what we hear as we do other forms of entertainment. We want it to satisfy us in a way that our favorite band satisfies us. Frankly, that doesn't always happen!

I think there is a current movement to write songs, very intentionally, for the purpose of corporate worship, and that's a very different discipline than writing songs that are a creative expression for the sake of creative expression, even though the intent may be to honor God. I'm just wondering if, in a sense, we're trying to compare apples to oranges. . .